Landmarks Profile: First Covenant Church

This church’s congregation began in 1889 as the Swedish Christian Mission Church. In 1907 they constructed this new church building at Bellevue and Pine designed by John Creutzer. By then they were known as the Swedish Tabernacle Church. As the name suggests, the congregation were Swedish -- early records in the church archives are all in Swedish, not English. The First Covenant Church was made a landmark in 1981. The congregation did not agree that the city had jurisdiction and argued against designation. After the mayor signed ordinance 112415 in 1985 imposing controls on the building, the church filed suit. They challenged based on the free exercise of religion clause in the First Amendme

Landmarks Online

Rob Ketcherside has begun submitting neighborhood landmarks to online databases. The historic marker committee is acting on a goal to raise awareness of our neighborhood’s historic assets. While the project moves forward to alter the physical world, we can quickly modify the digital world along the way. Rob has submitted four known existing historical plaques to hmdb.org and readtheplaque.com databases. If you see a historic marker or plaque just take a photo and send it to CHHS via Twitter, Facebook or email and Rob can add those in as well. The Ward House (Belmont and Denny Way) has two plaques on it already. They are straight-forward descriptions of its inclusion in the National Register

This Month in History: The Broadway Theatre that could have been

In May of 1925, Claude Jensen and John G Von Herberg, partners in the Greater Theatres Company, announced plans to build a sprawling and palatial play and motion picture house on the entire westside block of Broadway between Harrison and Republican. This is where Broadway Market, currently the home of Urban Outfitters and QFC, is located today. Designed by the nationally renowned theatre architect Benjamin Marcus Priteca and his associate Frederick J Peters, it boasted the following features: “...the stately main entrance toward the southern end of the building, with a driveway on its immediate right, opening upon a wide open court and sunken gardens… another street entrance on the Republi

Recent Posts
Archive